(This recipe was created by horribly mutilating this one from How Sweet It Is. Thanks.)
I felt pretty confused eating these because it felt like I was eating Bika Ambon or Kuih Apam or even Longevity Cake instead, neither of which I have had in many years. Of course, these similes are wasted on you if you’ve never had any of these things.
TL;DR they feel like steamed/sticky kueh and not normal cupcakes, but they’re not bad.
+ 1 egg white
+ 1 tbsp sugar
+ 2 tbsp applesauce
+ 0.5 tsp flavoring of choice*
+ 1.5 tbsp almond milk**
+ 1/4 cup flour
+ 1/4 tsp baking powder
+ pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 175 Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit.
2. Beat wet ingredients, then add dry ingredients and beat until not lumpy.
3. Pour equally into two lined cupcake crevices.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Calories: 115 each. Makes two cupcakes.
* **Notes: The original recipe called for 1 tsp vanilla, but I wanted pandan cupcakes. So I used 1 tsp pandan extract, and it was like being punched in the face with it. The way I like it. Also, substitute with milk of choice if you don’t have almond milk.
All things aside, flavor and consistency was satisfactory. Feel free to double on amount of sugar – this wasn’t so much sweet as fragrant? I’ll probably try with stevia or sucralose sometime if I get over the aftertaste. Lastly, I highly recommend either smearing the cupcake liners with oil (at your own risk) or letting them cool completely before eating. I had to eat a layer of cupcake off the first liner at the cost of my dignity, but the one I had next morning (i.e. just now) peeled off like a healthy cupcake liner should.